Torch only firing once per job

Ok, I think I finally figured out the root of the problem.

Shortening the pierce delay didn’t fix things, but with some manual testing I realized that my torch just won’t successfully create an arc if the air is flowing. It works at the first start since it seems like the air starts simultaneously, but not on subsequent cuts. Manual piercing tests with the air flowing and not confirmed this.

As a workaround, I manually added delays of a few seconds after every cut in the G-code so the plasma cutter had enough time to shut off the air flow before starting the next pierce. After making this change, the part cuts successfully. It doesn’t sound like this should normally be necessary.

@langmuir-daniel I’ll also check with Razorweld, but is this definitely indicative of a problem with the torch, or could this be a problem with the plasma cutter itself?

1 Like

Great job troubleshooting this issue on your own. I can’t say if its a torch issue or an issue with the power supply, but it’s definitely one or the other.

Hi @Brent, have you had any further correspondence with Razorweld? Another customer is facing the same problem with their Vipercut 30

Having same issues, I do not want to add delays into the g-code, specially running production or multiple cutouts. My delays would be 10+ seconds each…

@langmuir-daniel I got a response to my first message to Razorweld saying that they suspected that the swirl ring issue may have been related to a short and that they’d send a replacement torch. I haven’t heard back since sending them my address. I did follow up a day later with the additional details about the (I guess unintentional) post-flow issue, but haven’t gotten a response to that inquiry yet. I’ll follow up again on both.

I assumed that the machine had some sort of post-flow delay like a welder. I’m seeing delays closer to 4 second at the end of a single cut. If the crossfire triggers another firing, the flow continues (with no arc) but it generally shuts down within a few seconds of the final M5 command for me. Having read about blowback starts since my last post, this behavior makes more sense now.

Yeah i believe there is some type of issue going on with the plasma cutter power supply because the vipercut 30 does not have postflow. Even if it did (like the 45 does) it should still fire when commanded; interrupting the postflow.

Ok, I finally called Razorweld/Jasic yesterday. Sounds like they’re going to be switching out the unit I have for one that should work. Mailing it back today.

1 Like

That’s great to hear, Brent. Please let us know how the replacement unit works for you.

Did you get your unit working. I have the same issue with the 30. I’ve been watching and following but no new information for over 2 months.

Hi, check out this thread. It discusses how to solve the problem: Having torch firing issues

Like the other linked posts mention, I had the same issue and removing the capacitor fixed the issue! I have a razorweld 30 and they said it was a post flow feature which makes since why removing it makes it work on demand now. Hope you get it fixed as well.

1 Like

I did get mine working. They sent me a brand new unit of the latest model because the old model I sent back had more issues when I got it back then when I sent it :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Removing the capacitor fixed it.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Just curious, is the capacitor only on the vipercut 30’s or is it on the 45’s as well?

My vipercut 30 is doing the same thing. I’ll try the capacitor and check the electrode. hopefully that will work.

There is no t2/t4 switch on my thirty. Couldn’t find the capacitor either. No arcing in the torch. Mach3 codes are all correct. Any ideas. 220v gal air com 11cfm/min@90psi no moisture in the bowl.

Got most of the problem figure out. Material was to thin, to much air and power. 24 gauge steel, had to lower the air to 50 psi and power to 20-25 amps.

2 Likes

There is no t2/t4 switch on my thirty. Couldn’t find the capacitor either. No arcing in the torch. Mach3 codes are all correct. Any ideas.

Hello, Did you finally manage to switch it to t2? I am having the same issues.

Thank you

No mine must be a newer model. It didn’t have the t2/t4 switch or the capacitor. What type of material are you cutting. My problem was the water was putting out the torch because it was cutting to slow. When I upped the speed and lowered the air pressure it worked great. Once you get it working the first time it will be easy to dial it in for everything. It was my first time using a plasma cutter or Cnc machine.

1 Like

When you start the program is the torch firing. Not necessarily burning but does the airflow start. If no air then your wiring is incorrect. If it is then you should contact razorweld because I would suspect that the torch is bad. Have you tried firing the torch manually by hand instead of the program.