Toolpath issues and pierce points

Hey everyone,

So I just got my machine a couple weeks ago and have not cut many parts at all just yet. just toying around with it trying to get it working well. I have cut out the recommended architectural part no problem and I’ve cut some other things no problem but my one problem that has popped up randomly is that I can no longer get my fusion 360 to do a pierce point.
I learned this trick from a builder I worked for, we cut our parts out but any holes we need in the parts, we do a pierce point and then drill it out with a rotobroach so the hole is perfect. we need perfect holes for bolts on offroad trucks we build. I was able to start cutting out an incorrect file with .08 holes for the pierce points but I stopped the file when I figured out it was wrong. Now I cant seem to get any new drawing to take a smaller hole than .5 inch and recognize it on the toolparth even tho its selected.
any advice ? I have tried some things I read in the other topics somewhat similar to this but still not working. I too have constraint issues with these like others have mentioned as well.
I am only drawing a circle with a hole in the middle for a test drawing

I’m wondering if you have a lead in length problem conflicting with that small of a hole(s).
One option is what ever diameter your hole is make the lead in equal to the radius then have your M3 start torch, use the G4P? for piece time, when it pieces have your M5 turn off the torch and just let it follow the hole(s) with the torch off, or delete code after that, or use a / in front of the lines of code not needed and turn on the / by pass button on.

1 Like

I tried all that on the size of the lead in and torch settings such as the kerf and all that and it didn’t change anything. all of a sudden I cant get it to recognize a hole any smaller than .250 . you lost me on all the other stuff lol. Im not very knowledgeable on this stuff just yet.

By chance can you upload one of your programs and dxf so that I could look at the code it wouldn’t need to be a large one, simple square with a few holes, that may help to see where the error is at.
Commands below are:
M3 (is torch on)
G4P1. ( pauses the torch movement long enough to pierce the metal P=time in sec.)
M5 (is torch off)

I cant seem to find the file to share it with you. Its really starting to piss me off. it seems as if as the days progress, I can do less of a small hole. Now I cant even get it to recognize .30. before I could get it to recognize .250 holes at the least. now its not even that. Nothing has changed for this to happen. I almost want to delete the program and reinstall it but I stupidly only opened the download and didn’t actually download the program so I may have to make ANOTHER email just to get the download. talk about frusttrating

I Just figured it out! woohoo. thanks for your help. it was the lead in distance. I had changed that before but it didn’t do anything, changed it to .1 and it finally worked.

I had an idea that’s what it may have been from what you said it was doing.
This is not uncommon for newbie’s, point is you learn from it for the future.

1 Like