Tell me what I’m doing wrong here

Not sure why tabs are connected there or why my cuts are lapping

If i had to guess, your pierce delay is too short.

Also the squiggly cut outs are too close together to have a ‘bridge’ between them.

1 Like

Would pierce delay cause the little uncut tabs? And can I determine if the machine cures inside or outside of the squiggles? Or is that computed automatically?

I dont see a lead-in or lead-out cut and i personally prefer to use them. Makes all my cut edges come out perfect. I agree with Daniel, too close together too

2 Likes

I’ll try that when I get some time this evening. Very new to this cnc thing…
Hope this isn’t asking to much, but what tab can I use lead in/out on?

This is 16ga by the way

Too short of pierce
Too fast of cut
or torch is too high

I ended up staring from scratch and got things ironed out, could maybe use some tweaking on feedrates and amperage…

Is this picture the bottom or top of the piece?

1 Like

That is of the topside

Looks better but I think you can improve the cut even more. What are you setting? Amps? Ipm? Tips size? Standoff? Pierce delay?

It’s 16ga, at 35amps, I believe 40ipm, .9 tip, 1/16” stand off and a 1 second pierce delay, with a lead in of .065”

this is where I screwed up I should have went with the 45 amp machine I went with the 30 but I would say yes your pierced delay needs to be turned up on a 16 gauge I use a pierce delay of . 4 at the full 30 amps

Have you done a line test? At 35 amps I’m thinking you should be in the 70-90 ipm range.

FYI there also is a setting below your lead in/lead out called “Pierce Clearance”. This distance is added to your lead in distance. I always change this to 0 if I’m using a lead in. You can cut a smaller design playing with this setting.

1 Like

I’ll reset and try it again, at 40, I’m getting some spray from the top, I thought it meant I was moving to quickly, I’ll give 70-90 a shot

Top dross could also be from consumable wear and too much of a standoff/cutting height. Essentially the metal that’s coming out on top should be going through the bottom.

Well didn’t get to try 16ga tonight but did some 1/4” used the small shim, machine set at 40 amps with .9 tips with a speed of 30ipm. Will post some pics in a bit, but does that sound right?

Doesn’t sound too bad. You have your tip maxed out though. Might try 35 amps and 25 ipm

I’ll give it a shot next time, and a question about shims, I had better results with the smaller shin on 1/4”, do you use the bigger shin for thinner materials?

No. Thin shim thin marterial. Thick shim thick material. Thick shim is for 1/2 an above