Stopped cutting mid line

Anyone ever have such a problem? I was doing a fairly straight cut, roughly a foot long, and about half way through it was almost like I shut the electricity off to the torch, it was still blowing air, and happened probably 3/4 of the way through a sign as big as the table, I’m using a thermal dynamics cut master plasma if that helps get to the bottom of the problem.

Been there a few times. Lost ground a couple times and did that. ( clamped to project and that fixed ground ) electrode gave it up and it did that.

1 Like

I have found when for whatever reason I forget the ground (work clamp) I can hear a difference. I am actually triggered like a liberal by the sound and must react.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips guys, I did try moving my ground a few times as well as replaced all consumables in the torch and it still was giving me grief. It may be the ground, but I’m not sold on it as I moved it a few times

How heavy were you cutting. I have heard thin gauge low amperage sometimes requires lower air pressure as the torch can get blown out.

1 Like

Putting your ground on the material is the only way to eliminate bad ground issues.

I was cutting 1/4” and yup ground was on material with a spot buffed off with the angle grinder

Hmm, how’s your torch parts look? Do you have a good air dryer? Just thinking of trouble shooting items. Have you checked you ground wire if it has continuity? Or maybe your air compressor can’t keep up with your plasma machine.

Great thought John543! As for torch parts, I replaced all that I could,tip, electrode or whatever that’s called. The air dryer I have is one that is a metal pipe with caps on the end, filled with the dryer pellets, it’s a couple feet long and has served me well, well possibly until now, maybe I should check the media in it. I haven’t checked my ground wire for continuity but will definitely look into that. The air compressor is a nice big air compressor that use to serve at a machine shop, I feel pretty confident it isn’t the culprit. Thankyou for the ideas, it gives me some ideas to chase, I will do that as soon as I can, most appreciated