Real quick Font help

In fusion , when I do text I get big blue letters in all fonts , how do I just get the outline .

Select text, right click and then explode text.

2 Likes

What if you get a fail saying could not retrieve profiles of selected text??

I use Inkscape (it’s free) for text. Fusion’s text option isn’t quite up to par for my tastes. What I do is create my text in Inkscape, screen capture the image using the snipping tool in Windows 10, save it as a JPEG, convert it to SVG (free conversion tools are available online), insert it into Fusion and work with it from there.

Sounds convoluted and a bit complicated, but it’s really not and it gives you more flexibility than working the text tool in Fusion, at least that’s my experience.

I did an Air Force logo and had to redo the text. Had to follow a tutorial on how to wrap text on a circle, but it worked out perfectly.

1 Like

You can skip the jpeg to SVG conversion. Inkscape saves as SVG by default. I usually use the Save As command and pick plain SVG vs Inkscape SVG as the Inkscape specific version isn’t always well handled by other apps.

You do want to make sure your text is a path vs just text. Use the Text to Path command in Inkscape before saving.

1 Like

You also want to make sure that, if you purchase a specialty font, that the font is actually created error free. Some creators actually throw a font together because most of the time it is typed and not used to do graphics cut by a plasma. I had a problem where the font had jaggeds within the fine details. It was lame, I had to fix it before cutting in fusion.

1 Like

Can you import different fonts into fusion 360 ?
Ink scape doesn’t seam to have any better .
Or what do you guys use .
Thanks in advance.

I think you have to put the fonts into windows fonts. Computer :c windows fonts. if its a windows pc. fusion will then have it in its list of fonts after you do it.

2 Likes

Correct (for Windows machines). It will use the fonts installed on your machine. (Inkscape will do the same.)

1 Like

Guys
I have downloaded some SHX fonts and when I go to put them in the Windows Fonts folder I get an error message that says the fonts do not appear to be a valid font. Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-add-a-new-stick-font-shx-in-Fusion-360.html

" Issue:

How to add a new stick font (.shx) in Fusion 360.

Solution:

On Windows

1. Navigate to the following folder: C:\Users%username%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\webdeploy\production<random hex code>\Neutron\Server\Scene\Resources\Fonts\SHX
  2. Place .shx files here to install them into Fusion 360.

On MacOS

1. Right-Click the Autodesk Fusion 360 application (located on the dock) > Options > Show in Finder.
  2. Right-click the Autodesk Fusion 360 application (located in Finder) > Show Package Contents.
  3. Navigate to the following folder: […]/Contents/Libraries/Neutron/Neutron/Server/Scene/Resources/Fonts/SHX
  4. Place .shx files here to install them into Fusion 360."

I have a huge collection of *.shx myself

1 Like

Tin

Thanks for jumping in. I don’t have a folder in my username wanb (username) folder named AppData. I know just enough to get myself in trouble. If I do a search in the wanb folder cutting and pasting the link adding wanb as username nothing comes up. Any thoughts?

I believe AppData is hidden by default. You may have to select Hidden Files under the View tab.

1 Like

Simsworx

Thank you for your help. I found the folder and put all the SHX files in it. But they are not showing up in Fusion. I have restarted my computer and still not there. What do you think?

2 Likes

When you opened the Webdeploy folder, how many “random hex” named folders were there? You’ll want to choose the newest folder that still has data files within it. (I’ll sort by Date Modified, then start at the top.) From there, follow Tin’s directions. (Have Fusion closed.)

I just downloaded 2 SHX fonts and installed them with his instructions. They both appeared when I opened Fusion the next time. FYI - Keep in mind that by default, Fusion will sort the SHX fonts to the top of the list, regardless of the font name.

2 Likes

Simsworx

Thanks so much for being patient with me. SOLVED. So much for Real quick Font help. :laughing: With Fusion the more I learn the more I want to learn. Thanks again for your and Tins help.

3 Likes