Razorweld 45 leaving a bad beveled edge on the cut

I just recently upgraded air compressor and made sure my internal pressure regulator was set to the 75 psi it needed to be set at. And not it is leaving a bad beveled edge when cutting. Didn’t have this problem before. Any help is much appreciated

Is the 75psi at the tank or at the RW? (Not sure what the “internal” regulator you mentioned referred to.)

You’ll lose 5-10psi in a 50ft hose so you want the regulator on the RW or set the tank output higher.

Any other changes? Like removing/replacing the torch so it’s not vertical?

The 75 is on the internal gauge on the RW. I have it at 100 at the tank

I have 50’ of hose going to my dryer then 50’ going to the plasma

No other changes othe then the air compressor

I haven’t touched the one in the RW. But I run 85 at the tank regulator. My air dryer is attached directly to the RW. I’m using hi-flow 1/4" connectors but not sure those would make that much difference.

Here’s Wiley’s bevel prevention suggestions that I check and usually find the reason, might help -

Once you picture the plasma as a cylinder that tapers at both ends, (if there’s a word for that shape we don’t know it,) it’s easy to see where bevel comes from. Ideally the fattest point of the plasma is at the midpoint of the plate so there’s virtually no bevel. Lift the torch too high and you’ll bevel the upper surfaces. Put it too low and you’ll bevel the bottom edge. So Tip One is: set the torch at the correct height.

Tip Two is to keep the torch perpendicular to the surface. Hopefully it’s pretty obvious that an inclined torch will cut an angled edge, but it’s still a good tip. And yes, there may be occasions when you want to cut a beveled edge, in which case you’re going to lean the torch over away from the vertical.

Tip Three is to watch the corners. If you’re CNC plasma cutting the machine will slow down going into a corner, and slower travel will lead to more bevel. The solution is to overshoot the corner, then turn 270° the opposite direction.

Tip Four is to watch your consumables. Obviously the gas is consumable, but so too is the torch nozzle. They wear, and that leads to a less stable plasma which wanders and creates a cut bevel.

Our last tip, Tip Five for those that are counting, is to cut on the right side of the plasma. Remember how we said the plasma is kept within a vortex of gas? Well that spins clockwise, so edges cut on the right have less bevel than those cut on the left. More generally, arrange the direction of travel so the shape you’re cutting out is on the right of the torch and the scrap or offcut on the left.

Save Time by Starting Right

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I will be putting my dryer on the RW. As for as the cutting right that is some ING I change in my toolpath setup correct.

I would try and use shorter air hoses. Also the swirl ring used with the RW can be put in so the air will spin left or right by flipping it over.

Correct. It’s based on whether you’re cutting inside or outside the line. That’s what the blue arrows in Fusion mean when you select an object or line for a toolpath.

If you look at the swirl ring in your torch when you change consumables you can see the tiny holes that the air comes out of. They’re actually angled and you can see that if you look inside the ring. That’s what causes the swirl.

Maybe the swirl ring is the issue then. I might have put it in opposite of what I normally do then

1 Like

Could I have too much air pressure?

You can for fine tips or thinner material - too much will blow out the arc.

But that doesn’t seem to be your issue. You could try dropping it to 75 or 80 at the compressor and see if that fixes things.

Are you running the correct torch height for the tip size & amps you’re using? If all you changed was the compressor (& to a bigger one) it doesn’t seem like the other typical causes would be the cause here but there aren’t that many things that can affect this.

I’m doing everything exactly the same. I just got home so I’m trying some of your tips. My old compressor was a 26 gal craftsman. It wasn’t really putting enough cfm out so I’m upgraded to the kobalt 60gal.

Crossing my fingers for you :slight_smile:

I flipped my swirl ring and turned down the pressure to 90 at the tank. Seems to be working fine again

1 Like

Excellent! Glad it’s working again. I hate to see problems that can’t be solved :slight_smile:

The swirl ring is a very important part of the plasma cutter torch. They wear out as well as other parts that’s why they are listed as consumables. Also if you install the wrong one it can cause all kinds of trouble with your cuts. Swirl rings may look the same and fit but they are not all the same.

1 Like

Another question for you guys does the .06 tip make that much of a difference versus the .08 tips for cutting fine lines on the razorweld 45

a 0.65 mm tip has a .024 orifice hole and is rated at 20 amps. The 0.8mm tip has a .029 orifice hole and is rated at 30 amps. Yes it can be run at 20 amps but it will have a wider cut line and all this depends on the air pressure being used.

1 Like

How are you calculating the diameters of them is the .8 tip really .8mm?