Machine or Hand Torch on Crossfire?

Hi guys. I’m a new Crossfire owner as of last week (it rocks!), and am already thinking of upgrading from my RW45 to something larger. I haven’t had any of the issues that I’ve seen on this site thankfully, however I can already tell that I’ll be running into my duty-cycle for some of the things I want to do.

The question I have is, what advantages would a machine-torch have over hand-held torch on the Crossfire? I’ve done some quick research on this, and it sure does seem like there isn’t much to justify the difference in cost, let alone the cost + losing hand-held capabilities.

What am I missing?

From what others have answered is the machine torch is just easier to get perpendicular with the work surface and may or may not need to remove for consumable changes(keeping the alignment). I could be missing something as well since i dont use one as I just upgraded my machine from the razorweld since mine crapped out on me, but I’m just using a 15 deg dedicated hand torch for the table.

I make the mounts plus I can turn down the stepped style cups as well. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Machine torch is the best way to go to keep things straight and change consumables with out removing the torch every time. Also if you plan on getting height control.

1 Like

The option of turning down the stepped cups is really for the guys running hand torches and want a better hold. Just to be clear.

Thanks.

1 Like

Update

A month ago I questioned the merits of getting a machine torch, now I’ve just installed a Tecmo IPT60 machine torch (Thanks Mechanic416!) with a mount (Thanks Lil_Abners_Kustoms), and although I haven’t run the machine I can already tell it’s a HUGE improvement. First off, this thing is BIG. You don’t really get a feel for the size of a machine-torch until it’s sitting there in front of you.

I also have the shielded IPT consumables, so I’m excited to give those a try as well.

2 Likes