Hypertherm Machine Torch?

I plan to purchase a machine torch for my Powermax 45. Hypertherm offers a standard machine torch and a mini (short) version with the same performance specs. I wonder if the weight of the full sized machine torch may affect the CrossFire’s performance. Any opinions on this would be appreciated. Thanks

I’m currently using the standard machine torch with my table, it seems to work fine but I think the smaller one would be nice especially if its lighter.

If it is anything like the Trafimet machine torch the body is an aluminium tube. The Trafimet is not really that heavy I thought about cutting it down but I kind of like the tall standoff keeping the cable elevated. The cable is much lighter than a hand torch cable as well being built for a machine versus a human dragging it around the floor and shop.

3 Likes

I like that cover around the torch end, does that knock tip ups away good? Where do you get one? thanks.

@leozepolusa what 2 torches are you comparing? Do you mind sharing the product code numbers on both?

I am comparing Hypertherm 059477 (Standard) with 059482 (Mini). I spoke with a Hypertherm rep who said other than the length the only difference is that the standard version has the gear rack slot on the torch and it comes with the accessory gear rack if you need it for Z axis control.

@leozepolusa I pulled both of those product codes, and on both I noticed they said that those torches were only compatible with the Powermax 65/85/105 only. You said you had a Powermax 45? Maybe you have an older model? And those work with yours too?

Just thought it was worth mentioning it…

Yes, I asked the Hyp rep about that. He said these torches are compatible with my 45 as well. I didn’t ask him about the 45XP though.

@leozepolusa yea that is what I thought. I have the XP and they have different torche for that. I ended up buying it last night. Its cool that they have a mini torch for your machine.

Do you know the machine torch product # for the Hypertherm 45XP? I have the same machine, I bought and installed the interface, now I think I need the machine torch instead of the hand torch. Thanks.

1 Like

Part # 088167

I working on a design for the machine torch holder. can someone tell me the width and height of the gear rack on a hypertherm machine torch?

You may want to consider Hypertherm’s mini torch. See attached pic. After reviewing Hypertherm’s machine torch offerings and speaking with Hypertherm’s tech support several times, I decided to go with their Duramax mini torch which has the exact same performance specs as the full sized torch. According the the company, the only reason their full sized torches are the length they are is to support the removable gear rack. That being said, gear racks for old school rack and pinion THC’s are quickly becoming obsolete and being replaced with lead screw based THC systems. I figured the mini torche’s lighter weight would be good on Langmuir’s cantilevered arm. The price is also a bit lower.

2 Likes

The mounts I build fit the larger or smaller torches, the ones with gear rack are the same OD as the smaller ones without it. The gear rack is also removable.
I think even the smaller torches get a little angularity to them in the stock mount.

Steve.

That’s a great price for a hypertherm machine torch! I paid $700 for mine for the PM45

For my current table I prefer the longer torch over the mini. The mini wouldn’t fit. It all depends on how much room you have between the gantry and the cutting plate

1 Like

Hello, The standard, full length Hypertherm machine torch can be converted to a mini torch. It takes about 10 minutes and requires a Phillips head screwdriver and 2 small adjustable wrenches. Basically you are removing the long tube and putting the assembly back together. There are step by step instructions in the Hypertherm manual that comes with the machine.

4 Likes

I couldn’t find the step by step instructions. Was this for the 45xp?

1 Like

Is it the same for the Powermax 45xp? That’s the 65/85 manual.