Hey Folks, Now Tell the Truth

I’ve been using my Crossfire for about 5 months. It’s condition is cruddy, corroded, and just plain filthy. Most pics of Crossfires that I’ve seen were 1st cut condition, not well used. I have cut over 200 pieces each with 200 - 500 inches each. I am including a pic of my system and I would like to see a big response about your machine and how you are able to maintain and clean it. Pictures please.

Yep, its just part of it. Mine looks a few years old. I do wipe the tubes off good after each use and wipe with oil for the next time i use it.

1 Like

that is why i chose not to used/ purchase the water table, though it has its advantages, that is one of the draw backs of using the water table, water splashing over the gantry and rails, if it were just clean water splashing on it it would not leave those marks, but since it the water is picking up everything that goes into the water table, those are your results

It’s a tool that gets dirty :slight_smile:

Mine is pretty ugly - it gets splashback from the water table with washing soda in the water so when the water evaporates the washing soda remains on the tubes. Once in awhile I wipe it down but not often.

The table is more grungy - I drain mine between uses but that doesn’t get all the water out and there are small pieces of cutouts that fall into the tray and stay there (I could pull them out but I never think to do it until there’s water in the table). Now that it’s warmer weather I’ll probably hose it out and reapply some bedliner to the tray.

1 Like

Yep, mine is a mess. Been using it several times a week since October and have easily cut 200 pieces. I am relieved that others are having the same issue and it’s not just me!!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. My other pet peeve is that I finish my stuff with flap disks and they are very messy. I am too ashamed to show the inch thick dust on nearby shelves. I do sweep the floors almost every time I use the flap disks, but what a mess!

I got my table in October instead of fighting with the water during the winter I used the slat bed for afew months then put the water table on in the spring. Let’s just say the dust from the flap disks is nothing compared to the mess from the slat table. I keep the rails wiped down and lubed heavily with white lithium so mine may not be as corroded as yours but the dust sticks to the grease so it’s maybe even dirtier :wink: Water table just as crusty!
But she still cuts great!

1 Like

Thanks for your reply and experiences. I tried using graphite spray (dust) to lube the rails, but now I just wipe them down with paper towels. It has been suggested on this forum to not use grease or oil because dust does stick to the rails. Good luck with your endeavors.

Dennis

My water table has to be scraped regularly. I know that it is a mess to deal with but all that mess would otherwise be on the floor. The fumes without it stop me from cutting after about 30 minutes. It’s now cut probably between 5000-6000 pieces. My first compressor (used) quit last month and I had to go to a large upright. It’s been great improvement on the speed (number of cuts per hour). Next week I intend to give the machine a good cleaning, maybe it will look pretty again.

1 Like

I usually wait a few days after cutting before I drain the water because it seems to be much clearer when the scraps & particles settle down in the pan. Once the water is drained, I pick out the pieces and then use dozens of paper towels to wipe the water tray. Sometimes, I use a magnet inside of a ziplock bag to grab a lot of particles and then dump them with my scrap steel. It’s a messy job, but necessary.

drain water, pull out the chunks of metal then shopvac.

3 Likes

Mine always looks like it’s been drug behind a snow plow in Chicago for about 6wks.
I’ve owned since Aug 18’
I drain the water, clean out the chunks of left over money bits and shop vac the water table out. Clean all tubes with a little 50/50 simple green and water mix and throw some sewing machine oil on the lead screws. Inspect everything, grind off the top slag on the support slats and refill with water and washing soda mixture. Looks brand new and fresh of the production floor.
Takes about 20 min and extends the life of your investment.

4 Likes

I’m going to keep your post. It sounds like you know how to care for your equipment. Could you post a picture?
Thanks
Dennis Leslie

I drain mine every day, wait for it to dry and vacuum it. Once a week I go over it with a little mean green

1 Like

Good lookin system ya got there. That’s one heck of a drain system. Did you design it yourself. If so, do you happen to have a video on the build?

I actually just use brasso(metal cleaner/polish) on my rails to keep them mostly clean. I now make sure to wipe off any splashes as soon as I’m done cutting just to help prevent the stains and buildup. Haven’t had any negative effects so far and will keep this routine up. It can start pulling the color off the anodized parts so I only do them when it really needs it. Here’s some pics before and after

1 Like

Wow! What a difference. What might you suggest to get off the longer standing stains (really deep stains)?

Dennis Leslie - Prescott Valley, AZ

It was worse the first time I cleaned it. Not quite as bad as yours but I was able to remove most stains and black marks where the bearings are. And make it nice and smooth again. I would try the Brasso or a metal cleaner/polish, might take a few iterations of it though. I just havent seen anyone that mentioned they clean theirs like I do so I figured I would share.

Thank you for the followup.

Dennis Leslie - Prescott Valley, AZ

Barkeepers Friend is good for this. Cheap too.

Bar Keepers Friend Powdered Cleanser & Polish 15-Ounces (2-Pack) Amazon.com

2 Likes