Haaalp... lead screw coupler set screws/thread

I’m setting up my CrossFire and I’m on Part 5 of the Youtube series. Specifically the Lead screw couplers at 1:41. 3 of the couplers had no problems, but one of the lead screw bearing couplers ,set screws, won’t thread in completely. I tried the other set screws and I tried the set screws in other couplers, but it appears that only the one coupler has the problem. It starts just a hair then gets jammed. I did check both sides and made sure I’m putting it in the counter sunk side. I also gave it a little tweak to see if it could loosen a stuck chip or something but it didn’t work and I don’t want to force it any more.

SO here is the question. What tap do I need to chase the threads on the lead screw bearing coupler to clean it up? I tried a 10-32 but it doesn’t spin freely on the working couplers so I wasn’t about to force it through. Maybe a 10-32 fine thread? Any help any of you could give out there would be greatly appreciated! I tried googling set screw taps/threads and it’s not as clear as I would like it.

Just looked at my tap and it is Nf too… so I’m guessing I have the wrong thread type… maybe UNC or NC or some other standard sizing type I don’t know about?

i have the same exact issues. i just ended up not putting the screws on… dont know the side effects yet.

1 Like

Hi, we found this issue a few days ago in our shop. The threads are supposed to be 10-32 but they were tapped incorrectly. We have seperated the bad ones from the good, but there are some that have made it out to customers before we caught it. We will either send you new couplers or the correct screws ASAP!

2 Likes

Great thanks Daniel do you need anything from me or can you just look up my profile/order?

Thanks!

Nope! We have your profile and will send the parts tomorrow in the mail.

2 Likes

Same thing here. Set screw doesn’t bite in when I tighten it.

Great thanks Daniel. I’ve made it through the assembly so I’ll just hold off for a bit while I wait for the parts. I’m waiting on my water table and Mach3 software as well so I’ve got a little time. Thanks again for looking out for me!

Had a chance to look into this more today. It seems as if the holes were tapped with a 10-32 tap that was severely worn. I chased them with a new tap and after doing so the set screws thread easily.

With that said, we will send replacements to those of you that responded to this forum thread. If you have a 10-32 tap and don’t want to wait, i’d recommend chasing them like I did. We will send the replacements either way though.

2 Likes

@langmuir-daniel ill take a set as well as my setscrews dont tread . #2780 Thank you!!!

Sounds good. Are both of yours bad?

I had a bad one. Found size on this thread and chased them and it was fine.

Both my lead screw bearing coupler had problems. 3 of the 4 set screws will not work.
Sent an email but haven’t heard back on this and missing parts.
Please send asap. Thank you

Going out today! Thanks.

Hi im having that same issue with the bearing lead screw coupler. Tried all 7 that i had.( Missing one.) set screws none will go over 1/2 turn into the threads. I opened the packages on a white towel because the video showed lots of little parts. Normally my fumble fingers will lose something. Reading up i seen the issue with a worn tap. Im thinking its maybe happening again . I have no tap and die set and hate to ruin them anyhow. both bearing ends . All 4 holes. motor ends work great. Im going to try to get a 10/32 tap tomorrow, and a set screw. If you could please send replacements incase i cant fix these It would be greatly appriciated. I will send the new ones back if i get it fixed.
Thanks Jim

Hi there, we will send you a new coupler and the missing set screw. Sorry!

Thank you. Its both the ones that take the bearing. hoping i can find a 10/32 tap. im basically 30 miles from any major store. That thing called work is always interfering with fun. But a back up plan is always good. Dont really bother me much it will be worth it in the end. Your customer service is top notch . Thank you again, jim

Ok, I will update the order so you get two of them. Thanks!

yes sir both of mine are bad threads on em.

Thank you for your fast reply and actions. greatly appriciated. Thank you