Getting my Hypertherm 45 XP ready

I got a fairly new Hypertherm 45 XP, about a year old. I am concerned about what exactly do I need to be able to set it right up with the crossfire when I get it. I saw this upgrade kit online that says its specifically designed to be able to upgrade a base Powermax 45Xp to run a cnc machine with it. Hypertherm part # 428653. My question - is this what I really need? If it is, Do I need anything else?

I ordered that same part, plus a cable to tap into. I was told by the Hypertherm technical support guy to buy cord #228350 and tap into pins 3 and 4. I’m supposed to get the parts this week, so I’ll let you know how it goes. I tried to tap directly into the orange and velvet wires inside the 45XP, as others have successfully done on this forum, and had zero luck. I’m confident I pieced through the insulation around the wires as well, so I don’t know what kind of witchcraft their employing to get it done. I’d rather have the port anyway, and the Hypertherm support guy said it is incredibly easy to install. We’ll see…

1 Like

My Powermax 45XP came with both the CPC port and machine torch. I had no problems hooking it up the way the Hypertherm tech told you with the machine torch. However, keep in mind that the CPC port will not work with an unmodified hand torch. I believe that the only people that had an issue were those that tried to use an unmodified hand torch.

2 Likes

Yea I did the same. I installed the cpc port a few days ago. Came with nice detailed instructions, so the install wasn’t too bad.

Are you, by chance, also using the hand torch instead of a machine torch?

1 Like

No, I ended up biting the bullet and bought the machine torch.

1 Like

Hopefully it’s pretty easy . I cancelled my razorweld 45 order and ordered a hypertherm 45xp. With the machine torch and cpc port.