Fusion 360 tool path issues

I have searched and followed the cam 4 generating toolpaths and cuts video every single entry and it doesn’t seem to generate the same thing on the video as it does on my computer I get the initial outside cut for the arcitectual plate downloaded from the site but it will not generate the toolpath or cut out the interior circles. thinking it was operator error I have followed the video about 10 times now getting the same results every single time. I am trying to cut my first part following the videos and everything but I can not seem to get this program to do what the instruction videos are showing me. anyone give me some instruction on what I am doing wrong or is their someone close to mobile alabama that I can come and watch by anychance to see what I am doing incorrectly.

Reduce your lead in and lead out settings. Set pierce clearance to 0.

still does not work it will give me a cut path for the exterior cut but will not create a tool path for the interior holes I have tried designing other simple things such as the bottle opener and it does the same things it will cut the exterior lines but will not transition to the interior items to cut out.

Can you post a picture? How small are your holes?

its the arcitectual plate design in the cam 4 instruction video it will cut the exterior plate but will not transition to the interior holes on the plate design downloaded form the Langmuir systems websight file share.

Which face of the design space did you place the DXF on when you inserted it?

Front just like the video instructed me to do. Should I try it on a different plane?

What do you have your kerf width set to?
Lead in and lead out settings?

No that’s correct.

@Burgs04 has a couple more good questions. We’ll get this sorted out :slightly_smiling_face:

what did you end up finding out ? i have the same issues right now

Honestly I am so fed up with fusion 360 it’s rediculous I let my wife who is a computer teacher try it and it worked for her. Then we started designing other projects and it will not allow us to do the entire project like before. I have downloaded sheetcam and it seems much easier to use so far but I have been in the process of installing hardwood floors so I haven’t been able to look at it further. The lack of support on the programs has me a little flustered with Langmuir systems right now as it was them who subjected using fusion and when you have a problem they are quiet. I’ve been trying to use this thing for the last 6 months and can’t get much assistance granted a lot of it is learning curve and not their fault

It’s an option not a requirement. As you’ve found other apps like Sheetcam also work but come with a cost.

Do you expect Langmuir to provide support for your laptop (after all they required a laptop)? They have provided this forum so users can help each other when they run into problems or issues with the non-Langmuir components of the workflow. Telephone or email support as well as training in 3rd party applications required to get you to the point Langmuir takes over (turning your machine file into actual cutting on the table) is either ad-hoc via forums & YouTube or paid support from the authors of the programs you choose to use.

I understand your frustration. Fusion is an extremely robust application oriented to a work process (3D modeling) that most of us are not using it for. It’s not a process that is especially easy to wrap your head around and if you’re not doing it everyday, it’s not easy to become & stay proficient. You can do design in Fusion as well as toolpathing for manufacturing. If all you want to do is 2D (flat) design and toolpathing then another software combo might be easier.

If you pick that approach almost any 2D design app (Inkscape, Illustrator, CorelDraw, etc) and a CAM only app like Sheetcam may be easier to get comfortable with. With the exception of Inkscape, these applications cost money.

There are hundreds even thousands of YouTube videos on all of these applications to help you learn them. You won’t get support from anyone except Adobe or Corel for their paid apps. I believe there is a Sheetcam user community that helps support that product.

You are correct they shouldn’t have to but when you are recommending a product and you have someone and I’m not the only one having issues you ensure that your recommendation doesn’t have issues fusion isn’t the only issue I have had. Funny you mention the laptop the one I was sent can Barely run the programs that have been recommended for use. I am just the type person if I recommend something to you I am sure it’s goign to work at 100% and if their is an issue I do everything I can to help fix the issue. This computer that is sold with the machine is the bare minimum to do the job when it should be at least 50% more powerful than is needed and yes that is on them b/c they are the one who chose this particular company/computer to sell as part of the package. Then dell doesn’t want to honor their warentee but that’s not Langmuirs fault in dells warentee issues. I am highly considering selling this whole set up and purchaseing a machine with a little better track record at this point.

well these really aren’t plug and play like appliances. there is a lot of things to learn with this and you will inevitably have to find solutions to your own problems. the more information you can supply with your questions here the more the community here can help. Throwing up a your hands and having the attitude that this needs to be done for me is probably not the best thing with a hobby type machine.

I don’t think there are any semi industrial machines on the market that are more like appliances, what comes to mind is those cricket cutters for the scrapbooking people. it’s a totally closed system where everything is worked out for you but it’s limited only to the patterns its programmed with. the upside is you really only need to do 3 steps and you don’t need to actually know about how it works to make it work the downside is its limited only to what’s provided. That sort of system can’t allow you any freedom because you’ll run into trouble and be unhappy.

In a way it’s like photography. to get good results that compare with someone who has spent the 10000 hours learning the trade you also have to learn what they did. no automatic system can replace experience. The big advantage you have right now is there is probably already 10000 hours experience here on the forums to help you if you’ll just be their eyes and ears to see your problem.

You can get a CNC robot and a whole support system for every aspect of a CNC operation looked after for you, but they are way more expensive and still require skilled and disciplined people to support and operate them.

1 Like

100% agree.

I teach CNC laser and mill (aka router) operations for our local Makerspace. I didn’t learn it all in the first week and I tell my students that the classes have 2 objectives - make sure they know enough not to hurt themselves or anyone else (we’re less concerned about the machines - we can fix those if someone breaks them) and give them a starting point where they can jump in and know where to find resources to help learn more.

This is one of those resources for the Crossfire. But if more handholding is what someone needs to learn better (everyone learns differently) then there are 15 and 20 thousand dollar machines that offer that as you noted.

So very true I have a good buddy that is fluent using CNCs and he has even said after watching me do everything that their is something wrong but he can not pinpoint where the issue is either I don’t thing this industry will ever be a plug and play so to speak their is a learning curve with everything. But when you have a seasoned individual looking at a program and can’t get it to work right then their is other problems at hand hence I have moved to a easier use function that he subjested I start with as that’s what he did until he got a z axis to work with his new machine which I don’t know what it Is other than the fact it’s a 5x10 table he said is easier to use than sheet cam even

i got my machine dialed in fixed my problems with fusion it was operators fault (ME) not the program i use soildworks to design all my parts and just load the dxf files and bam done setting the pierce to zero as Burgs04 said was my issues also have the right plane makes things a lot easier i use a dell laptop and have no issues for the price of this machine and the support they give you its a win win for me plus some of the guys on this forum help out a lot spend some time with it its a great unit

1 Like