Fusion 360 performance issues and questions

I keep getting warning messages and no response in Fusion 360. I uninstalled and reinstalled to see if that would help but no luck. anyone else having this issue?
I did check to make sure, and i meet all the system requirements.

I’ve used Inkscape fairly successfully before but i don’t know how well that integrates with the Mach 3 controller?
Any suggestions there?

Inkscape is a design package and won’t generate the G-code needed for Mach 3. Although you can use Inkscape to create your DXF or SVG design files and then just use Fusion for the CAM process, it’s not a CAD/CAM application like Fusion.

You need to use Fusion or Sheetcam to define the toolpaths and generate the G-code that Mach3 will then use to drive the plasma unit.

I currently use INKSCAPE for 90% of design
Then insert it into FUSION AS either dxf or svg, both work fine
Then new sketch
Insert
Extrude
Manufacture
Post g code
Load g code in Mach3
CUT

3 Likes

I was having some major issues in Fusion 360, when i was running it on a 10 year old 32bit Mac.
Problems like Freezing, Jumping, Ignoring Commands, High command Latency, Choppy turns in 3D, and many more.
Fusion also ate up all 4GB of its installed RAM.
As of January 2019 Fusion has zero support for 32bit machines Windows or Mac

Minimum Specs;
System requirements for Autodesk Fusion 360
Operating System Apple® macOS™ Mojave v10.14;Apple® macOS™ High Sierra v10.13; Apple® macOS™ Sierra v10.12
Note: Support for Mac® OS® X v10.11.x (El Capitan) will stop on January 2019

Microsoft® Windows® 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 (64-bit only)
CPU Type 64-bit processor (32-bit not supported)
Memory 3GB RAM (4GB or more recommended)
Graphics Card 512MB GDDR RAM or more, except Intel GMA X3100 cards
Disk Space ~2.5 GB
Pointing Device Microsoft-compliant mouse, Apple Mouse, Magic Mouse, MacBook Pro trackpad
Internet A DSL internet connection or faster

I upgraded to a newer 64bit windows machine and pretty much all the problems went away. If it acts goofy now i just save and restart. Really the only time i have any issues is if they are updating Fusion in the background, but a restart cures it quickly.

They Recommend 4GB of ram, but i would suggest 8 or as much as your computer can handle.
That should be enough to keep a web browser and other programs open simultaneously. The 4GB suggestion is if you are running Fusion with no other programs. The more programs you want open at the same time the more RAM you need.

Fusion is really powerful and i am learning new tricks daily.

Waiting for the table to arrive has given ample time to practice the CAD side of things.

Stick with it and take notes and soon you will have no issues. I keep a cheat sheet beside the computer for job steps and new commands i still have not mastered.

3 Likes

I’m running windows 10, 64 bit system, 12GB RAM, Intel Core i7 processor. I should be good to go.
I’ve unloaded a crap ton of pics and videos onto an external hard drive, done the latest windows updates and java updates. uninstalled Fusion again. About to upload it and try again. I will let you know how it goes.

i’m thinking this may be the way i go, as i’m finding INKSCAPE really easy to use.

Your computer sounds top notch.

I use inkscape too, the trace bitmap command, then save as .dxf

In Fusion i just import that file touch it up and do tool paths.

Fusion is really powerful, though it may seem cumbersome at first. Once you get the hang of 2D, then fusion really gets neat in 3D. You can design your whole cut plan then assemble it, and see a realistic 3D rendering of the final work. It just takes hours of hitting walls and reading fusion forums to climb over them.

Each drawing gets much easier.

1 Like

I’m trying to insert both svg and dxf files into a new sketch just like the turorial video. I keep getting message that info is missing, and the file does not load. i can get the file to load by file, then upload.
Then about that time fusion locks up or crashes again. I send in a report online, and try again. very frustrating… still trying but losing a lot of confidence in this system. I’m going to take my computer in and make sure there’s not a problem with it.

good news! After having to restart multiple times, i was finally able to extrude! Now i’ve got to learn the CAM part LOL!

1 Like

So your insert problem is fixed.?

Didn’t mention before but all drawings/sketches in INKSCAPE need to be converted to paths
By OBJECT TO PATH or STROKE TO PATH command first,!
Leaving the sketch items grouped or UN-grounded hasn’t made a difference so far in any insert problems with FUSION

After you extrude your next step is CAM/Manufacture
You just follow the LANGMUIR video on CAM setup and post process in the videos
And your on your way.
You can experiment with the settings ie. lead in lead out etc… after thatj

I am running FUSION 360
On this without any issues.
Was a refurbed laptop

For 200.00 from AMAZON

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GCS54RS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

THIS ONE LOOKS GOOD TOO.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GCS4YTY/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07GCS4YTY&pd_rd_w=LcRaR&pf_rd_p=2bd81721-c115-4b8d-93a3-2ecd17466ded&pd_rd_wg=3EyWx&pf_rd_r=00GX20WKCV5MPXMPQSH9&pd_rd_r=06a5c9b0-2bc9-11e9-9615-bffc858cf82c

I bought the laptop in the package deal with my crossfire. I have a student license for Fusion 360. Anytime I try to insert a dxf file into fusion it takes forever to load or freezes up and crashes. I really like how fusion is setup but I’m tired of the issues. Does anyone have any advice how to remedy this. Will buying a better computer like a gaming pc work better?

What are the specs of your current machine?

I use a gaming laptop for fusion and its awesome, but it is far more machine than fusion really needs. But still not good enough to play games many on ultra graphics.

MSI P65
i7 8650H 8th gen
32 GB DDR4 2666mhz Ram
GeForce GTX 1060 With Max-Q Design, 6GB GDDR5 Video Memory
512GB Samsung 970 m.2 nvme SSD

This would be an example of overkill for Fusion. But it works very well, especially with larger complex drawings and 3D renderings.

Also other things to remember about your computer speed are;

Make sure your computer is not 32bit, 32bit is no longer supported for Fusion and many programs.

Ram is shared, if you have lower specs make sure Fusion is the only program running. Firefox or Chrome can eat up 4GB+ in a hurry, and Fusion has to compete for space.

Check your system for any leeches using up RAM, CPU, or Network Bandwidth. All those toolbars and background processes can add up and haunt you.

Make sure you have at least 20% free space on your HDD or SSD. If its too full your computer slows down due to it looking for free space all the time and not having easy places to dump your files.

If you have a HDD make sure you defragment it at least once a month.
If you have a SSD make sure you turn Defragmenting OFF.

If your fan is running excessively you will need to clean the dust bunnies out of the cooling system. Your CPU / RAM / SSD will throttle the speed and slow way down if they are getting to hot.

Computers are just like cars they require periodic maintenance.

A gaming PC is perfect for Fusion. The biggest reason laptops have issues with Fusion is the graphics card. Generic laptops have okay graphic cards but Fusion can really use a dedicated rendering engine and desktops or gaming PCs have graphic cards with GPUs dedicated to rendering operations. If you bump up the CPU, memory and disk (SSD) you can make up for some of the rendering performance but nothing beats a gaming GPU :smiling_face:

My other thought was bumping up the ram. It currently have 4gb and I thought about bumping it up to 16gb. Not sure if that will be enough. Or if I should just get a new laptop

this is what I have. I bought it with the crossfire.

I my opinion I would save up for a new laptop for CAD, even if the current one can accept more ram. Your processor running at 1.1Ghz is going to hamstring you next. The graphics card on your computer is also integrated into the cpu die, and has very little video memory at 1GB. Its just barely at minimum spec for Fusion.

I had a 10 year old Macbook with similar specs, and the CAD experience was nothing but aggravating.

That computer is fine for just running mach3 though, it will save you from having your better machine in the shop eating smoke and metal dust.

1 Like

And water table splashback :slightly_smiling_face: My MacAir has water/washing soda spots all over it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advise I just ordered this. Should be much better. Should be here Monday.