First cut on the x fire, have a question

Be nice to see that shot with a block on each side so you could really evaluate the tip angularity.

Here is how I had my first plasma set years ago.

You should make an adapter like this to support the rest of the torch. In my opinion the cut45 torch is a little beefier than others and the weight of the cable could be pulling on it if it’s not strung up

2 Likes

That’s a good idea, I will probably end up making something like this. Thank you

This is exactly what I came onto the forum to ask about. OP did you ever get the problem resolved.

My setup is:
Razorcut45
0.25" steel
Pattern is just a small 1" circle with a 1.25" square around it

I am getting a wedge shape parallel to the y-axis. X-axis cuts are true.

My gantry arm is parallel to the table within .01*.

I have tried different amp settings, different start heights and a variety of speeds.

I have tried to square the cutter to the table using a 1-2-3 block just like you but can’t seem to figure out how to adjust that portion on the machine. OP did you ever get this figured out?

Hi @ticclint, is your red aluminum torch mount not perpendicular to the table? You can check it using an aluminum square. See this thread for more info on how to adjust it: Torch square to table adjustments

@langmuir-daniel, I think you meant to link to this thread? Torch square to table adjustments

Ah yes, you are correct. Thanks for the correction. I’ll go back and update it.

I still have not got this issue figured out. Although I did a test today and sent it to Daniel and he confirmed this was not good. Basically I just put the torch in the torch holder, adjusted it all the way up and just turned the torch on thru Mach 3 and this is what I found. The second pic I turned the nozzle tip 180 deg from the first pic and the arc changed direction as you can see. So Daniel and I think it’s a bad nozzle. I hope it’s the issue, I’m just waiting on new tips to arrive

Wow, that’s crazy! You should send those pics to your plasma vendor. Glad you figured out that its the torch not the table. That explains a lot of the head scratching up above.

It has definitely been a headache, unfortunately since I ordered this machine in may, my torch warranty is out :frowning: but if the new nozzles don’t fix this cutting issue I’m having I guess I will
Just have to buy another torch. But I will say this Daniel has gone above and beyond with trying to help resolve this issue that honestly isn’t their problem. I couldn’t ask for better customer service.

2 Likes

Thats a RazorWeld right? They actually told you they would not warranty a torch that is 3months old? I’m interested to know because I was considering buying their machine but not if they don’t stand by it…

1 Like

It is a Razorweld 45, but in the warranty paperwork it does say that the torch comes with a 90 day warranty and the power unit has a 3 year. So it’s not like they are saying they will cover the torch longer, but it does kind of suck that it is only for 90 days. But hopefully in my case it’s just the nozzle and not the torch.

I am seeing the exact same thing on my end. I have tried clamping it parallel and perpendicular to the gantry tube. When I do that my wedge changes 90* as well.

I have some new tips on order, but I also further played around with the machine. No matter how I clamp the head it seems to shift when I clamp it down.

I will try the squaring exercise linked above, but I also purchased a mountable 1.25" ID shaft collar so I’ll try that as well.

My vendor of my 45 is Langmuir so if it is determined that the head is a problem do I go through Langmuir or contact Razor directly?

I’ve talked to a few others using the same plasma cutter and they too have the similar issue I am having. I know Langmuir said if you purchased thru them, to process issues with Razorweld thru Langmuir. Do you have any pics of how your pieces are coming out?

The torch itself is not the problem at all
There is a 90 warranty on the torch due them being easily abused and used as a hammer. This is standard for all manafacures. When you buy a welder the foot pedal, and torch do not carry the same warranty as the power source.
I have a razorcut45 ready to go with a hand torch and with a machine torch. As soon as my table arrives I will be happy to show how mine is setup and cutting straight.
Try clamping the torch down on the larger part of the gas diffuser.

1 Like

Gamblegarage where did you get your machine torch for a razor cut 45?

I’ll try and get some today, but it’s a busy day so it may be tomorrow.

I have a few of them. PM me if you want one.

I may have made some progress. While I wait for new tips to arrive I took the original tip and electrode. I used a pick to clear out the hole and make sure it was round on the tip. I then cleaned it and the electrode with some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I loaded it back up in the machine and shot a few cuts on some scrap aluminum I had sitting around. The cuts came out much better than before. I did not have a chance to try my .25" steel, but I’ll give it a shot in a bit and report back.

Nice! Did you raise your torch and turn it on to see if your arc is straight or at an angle before you cleaned the tip?