Cutter with built in compressor?

What does everyone recommend? I really hate to go buy a new compressor and dryer just to satisfy air requirements of most cutters. I also hate having more plumbing running in my shop (air).

Let me know what your thoughts are. I doubt I will ever be cutting anything HUGE, but as they say, bigger is always better!

Cheers,
Aaron

I cut for years with a 26gal campbell hausfeld 2 stage compressor running on 110v. That was with my Hypertherm 60A plasma cutter. I bought the compressor for 200 bucks on craigslist.

The main downside to running a cheap/small compressor is that it will be running basically the entire time you are cutting. And they are typically a lot noisier than the industrial units. If you have tolerance for those two attributes, then i would go for a cheap craigslist special.

Hi @langmuir-daniel

Space is an issue for me and I use no other air tools (cordless FTW), so I am hesitant to get a compressor for many reasons. Many of the cutters I am looking at call for 5cfm @90psi which would likely require a larger 2 stage compressor. Big space, big $$, another thing to maintain.

Additionally, I like the idea of a portable unit that I can throw in my truck and do work at friend’s houses, etc. The Hypertherm Powermax 30 air looks EXCELLENT. Can’t cut super thick, but I don’t see myself getting too crazy with massive material.

What are deal breakers for a cutter I may be looking at if it isn’t on the official approved list?

Cheers!
Aaron

I have heard nothing but good things about the Powermax 30 air and there are many customers that use it on the CrossFire.

Typically cutters that are not on our approved list are there because of RF noise issues. The Powermax 30 air is definetely compatible.

1 Like

I run a 29 gallon harbor freight compressor. First one lasted me about 4.5 years then blew a gasket. I’m on my second one now. It will cut for 60 seconds with my hypertherm powermax 45 before needing more air.
For the hose I bought a rapidair kit. Easy to install. The basic kit wasn’t enough so I added a few more drops.
Compressor was $475 ish plus tax and rapidair kit was another $150. All in all not too bad for almost 5 years. However you will need an air dryer too
If you can afford the PM30 Air go for it! Great machine.

1 Like

We run the Powermax 30 air and it’s great. Can cut on 110v or 220v, and compressor is only on when cutting. Not very loud either.

1 Like