Considering Purchase, what should I be aware of

I feel like the black sheep of the family. I have the RW 30i ,Got it in nov last year and have used it a lot. Not one single issue with it. Hope this dont jinx me…

2 Likes

Daniel and the entire Langmuir staff has been nothing but top notch. The fact that they get on a forum and try to provide help to customers who have 0 cad/cam experience and immediately point the blame to the cnc table, should say a lot about them. Being one of the first buyers, I have seen time and time again customers hop on this forum and just go straight to saying the table is crap, nothing works, they bought the wrong plasma cutter so it’s Langmuir’s fault etc… If operating a cnc table was easy, everyone would do it. People just need to take the time and actually sit down and watch the videos Langmuir took the time to make (which to my knowledge, no other cnc table manufacturer has even come close to providing these types of videos) I had 0 experience, and by watching their videos multiple times, they got me cutting in no time, the rest will come with experience. Langmuir, keep doing what you guys are doing! Once a extension comes out, best believe I will be first to order.

9 Likes

@oneupperformance Well said brother, I agree with everything that you stated.
And I too can’t wait for the extension!

3 Likes

Other cnc table manufacturers spend their time training their customers in person rather than making videos or trying to help thur E-Mails, before I purchased my table I ask in an e-mail if they had A phone number I could call for technical support if I needed it and they replied yes, well when I needed help it was only offered through e-mail.

And other CNC table manufacturers charge $10 or 15,000 for their table.

Many people here have worked with Langmuir through phone calls - it’s not that they don’t use phone support, they try to manage and schedule it.

Oneup was spot on with his assessment. People who blame Langmuir for their inability to get things working might want to reconsider if this is a technology they’re willing to put the work into that it takes to be successful. Ain’t no shame in not being wired right to be able to make a go if it. But there are thousands of people who are going great guns with these so it’s not likely that the product or Langmuir are to blame.

I remember when I first started 3D design. I just couldn’t get it. Took me multiple attempts over several years before something clicked. Good things are sometimes hard. That’s part of why I teach CNC tech at the local Makerspace.

If it’s worth it to you, hang in there and you’ll be able to do some amazing things. Lots of folks here willing to pay it forward by helping out too.

5 Likes

We as a company are very proactive in getting quality responses to our customers quickly. We have a support ticket system that filters the emails based on the nature of the email so that the ones from customers facing an issue receive top priority. Most emails get answered within the hour during normal business hours. @langmuir-megan works nights and weekends answering emails as well.

With that said, we are not in a position, nor do we advertise that we provide software education over the phone. Occasionally a customer will write to us saying “I don’t know how to use the software, please call me and teach me”. All we can do in that situation is ask them specifically what they are struggling with, and point them to specific tutorials or posts on this forum. Offering 1 on 1 phone support for software education would require a substantial increase to the price of the products we sell. If anything we want or prices to go down and not up.

We frequently tell prospective customers to download and play around with the software BEFORE they buy. That will give them a good idea whether or not this is something they want to commit to.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more !! Having a ball with the table… The learning has been fun for me…

1 Like

Might come a time where you could sell multi day seminars for people that need this kind of support. You dont have to build the cost of that I to the machines and the people that need it can plan to attend.

1 Like

i had mine for over 4 months, do not use it much, being my choice more of a retirement gift for the future, set up the Razor 45 is intimidating, even for me that I have a mechanical and electrical knowledge, but it is not that hard if you follow the instructions provided to a T. I use the plasma cutter more free hand than on the CrossFire and I have not had any issues with consumables
I have thought of setting it up with a jack to plug it in to the crossfire right now i just wrap the cord up
I like the simple design I plan on fabricating a table around it to support 4x8 sheets
I have not mastered the software side of it but the cuts that I have downloaded have not being a issues cutting out
I still have not figured out how to create my own stuff besides simple simple cuts like squares and circles all that will come in time
it a one of my best purchases and the price can not be beaten I plan on using it more in the future when i make more time for it
I can tell you once I master it use I will be used to it maximum potential, just like all my welders (portable gas, tig, mig welders) and fabrication equipment

1 Like

You could use the Hypertherm Powermax units on a Langmuir machine with the hand torch, just as you do with the Razorweld system, it requires pulling the cover off and cutting a wire and splicing the start signal to both ends of the cut wire. Then you need to wire-tie the hand torch trigger switch. A much cleaner installation is to use the machine torch as there is no trigger switch and there is an interface port on the Hypertherm units (if bought with machine torch) that has the start signal input as well as a couple of other signals used for height control (who knows…maybe Langmuir will offer a height control at some point!) The Hypertherm units come with an operators manual with factory tested cut specs for steel, stainless, aluminum with cut speeds, consumable choice, cut height, recommended pierce height. The consumables in the Hypertherm use shield and conical flow technology that dramatically increase consumable parts life over other plasma cutters. I like the Razorweld, it is a good low cost plasma, the Hypertherm systems are designed for years of industrial use with higher duty cycle ratings and excellent support from dealers and the NH (USA) based factory. Jim Colt

1 Like

Jim i use a 45xp and while setting mine up to use with the crossfire i tapped into the wires close to the top where the wire harness connects to the circuit board.I may be wrong but it seems a simple adapter would work here.Instead of fighting with the wire taps trying to get them to make a connection you could pull the connector off of the board…plug that into the adapter that would go to the crossfire controller and have another connector that would connect back to the circuit board.Its intimidating splicing into the wires of a brand new machine and if people had this adapter option with the 45xp i think they would be more comfortable paying the price difference.That being said once i got my taps to connect and i could fire my torch from mach 3 its been smooth sailing ever since and i have not had any issue with my hypertherm that others have had with the other brands and its allowed me to focus more on learning the software and cutting instead of trouble shooting my plasma.

only emailed a couple times but they were quick to respond. If you have never touched a cnc machine before there will be a learning curve.

1 Like

The customer service I have received by email and by phone have been great. I can’t say enough about how much they helped me in my early days learning the ropes. All the tutorials are comprehensive and extremely helpful. I am amazed at just how good the customer support has been. My two cents!

1 Like

Hypertherm recommends the machine torch (which interfaces through the optional CPC interface connector on Poermax45XP and larger units) for machine cutting and the hand torch (fired by its trigger switch) for hand cutting. There is interlock circuitry that separates machine cutting and hand cutting for safety reasons. If you have the time I will explain the legal case where Hypertherm ended up paying to rebuild a persons shop (fire damage) because the above safety interface was not in place…so expect Hypertherm to keep the interface scheme as it is and has been for over 20 years! To use a hand torch with remote triggering (such as with a CNC machine) you will need to cut and splice wires without advice to do so from Hypertherm. So…you can use a Hypertherm hand torch, but you are responsible for bypassing the factory wiring, just as you are with other plasma brands in order to make it work. Jim Colt

If you want to really get into it you will need to upgrade the MACH3 software because 500 lines of gcode isnt much.

VI was in the early batch when the Crossfire was offered so I’ve had mine awhile.

A few hiccups but nothing general knowledge and some research couldn’t fix.
So of us have technical backgrounds. Electrical backgrounds or just getting into it.
There’s a learning curve yes but it’s not impossible , far from it.
Anything I’ve run into on the crossfire or the RAZORCUT45 has been easily resolved.
Most issues I’ve had is with the FUSION 360 software. But again some investigating and some common sense approach have yielded answers.
LANGMUIR GUYS ARE GREAT! It’s just an ongoing learning & improving curve!

1 Like