Alternatives to Fusion 360?

Does anyone know if there are any alternatives to using Fusion 360 for making cam files for the Crossfire? I’m a bit of a newbie but it seem cumbersome and difficult to use. It is frustrating trying to get over the learning curve.

1 Like

Sheetcam works well, but its fairly expensive.

Fusion 360 is overwhelming at first but it’s worth learning. It’s an extremely powerful program.

1 Like

Agreed, I did a few small projects and caught on pretty well I think

I agree, once I got used to it, i actually prefer it over other programs. I was trying to use Adobe Illustrator and was having a harder time editing an SVG than I was when using Fusion. And, from a component design standpoint, it is much better. If you are designing signs, alot of people use corel or Adobe Illustrator and then export DXF files from that. If you want a free alternative, that I find is harder to learn, Inkscape can create dxf files and svg files also. You will still need to use fusion to create the G-code to cut on the crossfire, it is the only way to create the gcode outside of bying a program like sheetcam.

Fusion 360 has so many features, it seems at first like one can never learn it. But with time, practice , and patience, it is really a awesome program. the most frustrating is in the toolpathing part. but learning what it is having issues with makes it easier to understand.

2 Likes

Have any of you used Designspark Mechanical? It has an export to .dxf feature which I use it for drawing up parts to get cut by water jet. I then use DraftSight to double check the .dxf and make sure all lines and points are connected, or to remove any that are unnecessary.

I tried out the demo of Sheetcam more today and really like it. I like how you can set tool numbers and enter all your settings and save for each metal thickness and feed speeds instead of having to manually enter it every time in Fusion…Sheetcam you just pick the tool number and you’re done. It also has a tool that will physically show you where your broken entities are with white dots, easier to go and fix. I was getting used to Fusion but it got extremely frustrated as it would constantly lock up on me and would have to force close the program…did the same thing on 3 different computers. Try the Sheetcam demo, some quick tutorials on YouTube, I was up and posting in about 20 minutes. It runs $145.

1 Like

While i appreciated the videos Langmuir took the time to make, they really don’t scratch the surface of fusion. Which is not their fault, their job is to produce the machine and point you in the right direction. Which they have certainly done.

That said, i found the “learning” section provided by autodesk on their webpage to be extremely beneficial. It will take you a couple hours but you’ll get it a lot out of it.

I’d say the MOST helpful thing I’ve learned is whatever you draw or import, always extrude it into a model. CAM has a much easier time determining how to cut it for you when you do this.

If you go deeper into fusion you can start providing renders to your customers as well.

2 Likes

You an also spend some time in the Fusion 360 Tool library and create multiple versions of the original plasma tool and add all the feeds and speeds and amperage description so you know what you are cutting with for each type of metal you plan on cutting. Even change the kerf based on the size tip you are using for the plasma cutter. That will simplify the setup and cutting routine.

2 Likes

True, I realized that last night. Another thing I learned (between locking up) is many mention a lot of stuff that we dont need for the plasma. On any of the open panels with the menu bar across the top say in CAM you have Turning, Drilling, Multi-Axis…just right click on any one of those and a menu will come up and you can hide those. It really cleans up the work area with just you need.

3 Likes

I appreciate all the tips. I haven’t had a lot of time lately to mess around with it. I was using Inkscape to create SVGs and they never imported into Fusion the right size. Then I had trouble getting the right dimensions using Fusion on the SVG. I think DXFs are working better. Also the tip to extrude the model helps. I couldn’t figure out how to select a 2D model in Fusion to resize it. Thanks again and any other tips or tricks are appreciated!

Hi Dennyh

If you just want to start cutting some parts quickly use lazy cam(its included with mach3). Its a very basic cam program that takes DXF files and turns them into machine code for mach3 to run your machine. It doesn’t have any special features(nesting parts, lead ins…ect). You may need to turn the torch on manually in Mach3…I don’t have my machine yet so I can’t check.

I’m going to be using Bobcad with my machine, I’ve been using Bobcad V24 for 3 and 4axis milling and I’ve been so impressed with Bobcad over the last 7 years I upgraded to V31 after buying the crossfire and added BobArt(feature). I noticed it can also open and export solidworks part files without a license. Great value for around $500…I bet they have a sale on now for the holiday so you can probably get it for less and get the training DVD’s for Free if you ask for them to seal the deal.

If your interested in Bobcad just be aware they are nice but hard sellers.

I’m not bashing fusion 360 its powerful software…but I’m not going to use it when I get my machine for a few reasons.

• internet is required to generate machine code.
  • Its a subscription service.
  • Doesn’t seems to have any advanced features for plasma tables.

I’m not sure how much you’ve used Fusion but this is mostly wrong as far as it goes in terms of the Crossfire.

First you can have either local or cloud based post-processor. For the Crossfire you’ll be installing a Langmuir provided post processor to generate your machine (G-code). By and large you do not need to be connected to the Internet except for license checks every 3-6 months.

Which leads to the second item. While it is a subscription service, it’s free to students, educators and small businesses. As long as you don’t earn more than $100,000 per year from your Fusion produced designs, it’s free. If you’re earning over a hundred grand off it, you really shouldn’t quibble over the license subscription :slightly_smiling_face:

As for the last item, not sure what “advanced features” you think you’d want for plasmas but it supports everything & more that the Crossfire does. You can definitely multiple torches for different power & kerf combinations. It will automatically adjust toolpaths for kerfs. You can adjust cut speed and travel speed. You could setup Z-axis control if the Crossfire had Z-axis abilities. You can setup libraries of plasma torches and materials. You can create single or multiple toolpaths with variations in settings. If the Crossfire can do it, Fusion can define it.

Not sure why someone getting into this would want to spend $500 for something a powerful free app gives them and one with Langmuir supplied post-processor that generates code the Crossfire will ingest and execute properly.

jamesdhatch the question was about alternatives to fusion360 not what is cheaper.

The machine has nothing to do with the software, but if anything Bobcad being a partner could have better support with the MACH3 instruction set and you can even get your MACH3 license through them.

When fusion was released I was told by Autodesk all 3, 4 and 5axis machine code was generated over the internet, all claims say it is Cloud based. I’m not saying I don’t believe you but I was told right from the horses mouth. If it changed that’s really good.

The software is free today but Autodesk can change that at anytime they need to. The license has nothing to do with how much you earn off the machine "You can use this license if you are a small business making less than $100,000 per year (or equivalent), or if you’re a hobbyist using Fusion 360 for non-commercial purposes."

No nesting capabilities in Fusion360.

Anyone have any experience with flashcut?

I will probably take a look at the fusion 1 year license for startups… and learn it and use it until the license expires. But, It seems pricey for what i need. I am considering cambam and cut 2d ( both 149.00 ) or meshcam (249) i hear lazycam is defunct more or less

after a year just renew startup/hobby, . I think you can do it 3 years . If not someone correct me.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a limit. As long as you’re not making more than 100K off of it you should be good.

1 Like

that would be cool, I guess if you could do 100k in revenue with a cnc - i guess you can afford the software. i hope to 20k my first year and maybe twice this in 2 years,… If i beat those goals - it wouldnt be the first time…

2 Likes