Air Compressor Question

No fitting per say on the machine however it has kind of an industry standard 1/4 NPT (pipe thread) female inlet. There are roughly 5 or 6 fitting styles with two being most common. Depending on the compressor that end could much larger a would need reducers/adapters. You would also likely run that into a filter and water separator first and possibly a regulator depending on your compressor and set up.

2 Likes

So the Cutters with built in compressors don’t have tanks correct? The reason I ask is I’m wondering if a pancake compressor would work? Would like to spend around $200 or less on a compressor. Possible?

Awhile back I was looking at Hobart plasma with built in compressor. Having both a dewalt pancake and a 60 gallon industrial i went with a shop iron plasma that was on sale. I will try to use the pancake and do some cutting tomorrow. . Im thinking it will run out of air after a short time or never shut off. I may be wrong. only 1 way to tell. I did order the viper with the table and stuff so i didnt have to unhook it to do hand cutting.

I appreciate you giving the pancake a try. Years ago I used a pancake for spraying orange peel texture on my new basement walls. I had heard after of course that it was a bad idea because the motor could burn out. I suppose if it only runs for a few minutes at a time while cutting it would be ok? The thing I am unclear about though is if it can output the same amount of air while running vs just supply from the tank.

I tried the pancake comp. On real light metal ( barn metal , tin what ever you call it there ) The compressor is 150 psi 6 gallon 2.6 cfm @ 90 psi. My plasma is recemended 6 cfm @ 75 psi. making rather fast long cuts back and forth the comp was running non stop and losing ground. Plasma was set @ 75 psi. Witch i could have went down to around 40 psi but that wouldnt allow for thicker metal. All in all I really dont think it would work well with a table with slower cuts and thicker metal. Not being an expert at anything . To me it is not near enough compressor for the table. thats my personal opinion. And the non stop noise will drive you nuts. Im not sure what all you ordered but my purchase was $2320 .75. I would be very sad if i bought a $200 compressor that didnt work and then have to spend more so i could play with it.

2 Likes

Wow! Ok…question answered! Thanks so much for doing that. Will help a lot of people besides myself. I have not ordered anything yet just trying to get some intel so I have a solid dollar amount before jumping in. So for your $2320 does your cutter have a built in CM? Or…was the $2320 just for a compressor?

The Plasma does not have a built in comp. The 2320 is for the the order here. table, plasma, laptop stand, water table and the software to run it. I got another plasma cutter becaues i do alot of free hand stuff and didnt want to be unhooking and rehooking the plasma. My air compressor i got at a farm supply store 3 years ago. it was on sale for around 400 i think.60 galon tank. It keeps up real easy runs acasionally but i never have to stop cutting and wait on it to build up. I would just hate to see someone spend 2k and then not have a compressor big enough to be happy with. And your very welcome. Oh and i havnt received my order from here yet. Im talking about the plasma i allready have. One more thing. I would ask in the plasma cutter section if anyone is using or has tried one with a built in compressor if you havnt yet.

I have a 60 gal not hooked up yet but that’s all you need

I would size your compressor for almost continous use of a paint gun, they are usually the biggest air hogs.

Also the next thing you may want after the plasma table is a sandblasting cabinet. They eat air like crazy too.

After all it would be nice to paint your creations after they are made.

4 Likes

!this is what I’m running
Works flawless. And DRY AIR!:+1:

image|375x500

1 Like

PWCNC,
Would like to add one eventually… Where did you get it? Cost?

1 Like

AMAZON
Has them
Have paint shop friends that have used it non stop in a retail repair setting all year painting everyday and have not have moisture issues.

They replace the descant in that type of use about twice a year. The cartridges are 80.00 a pop.
So I assume with my non production use
Nothing like they are doing, I should be good all year if not 2-3 years on one cartridge.

I drain my tanks though everyday. At the end of the day.
And start them back up every morning.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000UZSJQM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

I got my for 391.91. There was a 20.00 discount with one of the sellers?
This weighs about 35-40 lbs and needs to be mounted securely. It’s very well built!
It’s got 1/2 NPT. Females and is about 24” tall and about 6-8 “ in Dia. It’s BEEFY!!!
I found everything to fit it to my 1” PEX PIPING.
At LOWES
https://www.amazon.com/DeVilbiss-130504-Replacement-Desiccant-Cartridge/dp/B000O3IGN6/ref=pd_aw_fbt_263_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000O3IGN6&pd_rd_r=9918c600-2d4d-11e9-9383-b9ef8e54b940&pd_rd_w=UzRcB&pd_rd_wg=CLIZA&pf_rd_p=b98fa1a4-6e6e-4981-835c-7fb29e0f4dd2&pf_rd_r=BTHR0S1RYVN54S770MEK&psc=1&refRID=BTHR0S1RYVN54S770MEK

2 Likes

I used to use desiccant in-line before paint guns, but was draining a lot of water from my tank (not a good thing).
Here was my fix (at the end of this link). The desiccant could still remain in the line, it’d just last forever!

1 Like

As a noob to plasma cutting I wanted you opinions on this compressor.

I have RazonWeld 30 FYI. I think the answer is no on this compressor but wanted to ask anyway as its in the price point I wanted to spend.

Thanks!

Nothing but DRY AIR.
And lot plenty of capacity. / volume

1 Like

I’m using the DeWalt 60 gallon 240 volt compressor with air dryer and filter.

I have used EPAuto 12V air compressor it is at far the best one I have come across.
https://amzn.to/2PKaBil
If you want other products reviews then here it is Best Portable Air Compressor Reviews

also Dead Trigger 2 MOD APK 2020 V 1.6.2 Hungry Shark World MOD APK V3.6.0

image can anyone tell me what this fitting size should be. I thought 3/4, but I cannot get it to stop leaking? Maybe a suggestion for something to seal it better than thread seal tape. Thanks Dave.

It looks like you may be trying to put a machine thread fitting into a pipe thread female. Just a guess.
Machine threads are commonly used for hydraulics.

2 Likes